Application and required documents deadline for Fall 2022 admission is December 12th, 2021
Please note: The Gender Studies MA Program is suspended indefinitely.
The online application is submitted through the UCLA Graduate Division: www.grad.ucla.edu
Application materials required by the Graduate Division and the Department of Gender Studies:
- Online application which includes submission of basic information, including your academic history and the degree program to which you wish to apply, as well as the application fee of $120 ($140 for international).
- Fellowship and Diversity application now called Personal History Statement (if you are eligible for Graduate Division fellowships).
- Transcripts (upload online AND mail 2 original hard copies to the Department of Gender Studies – address below)
- Three letters of recommendation are required by the Department of Gender Studies. Indicate a minimum of 3 names and emails for your recommenders.
Please upload these Gender Studies supplemental materials to the online application under “Supporting Documents” if there is no other specified section to upload:
- Statement of Purpose
- Gender Studies Supplemental Essay
- CV or resume
- International Applicants are also required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores.
Statement of Purpose – The statement of purpose is very important and is carefully considered in the selection process. Be concise and specific. It should be 3-pages double-spaced, and focus on what has brought you to pursuing a doctoral degree.
Fellowship Application – Available through the graduate division, please apply for all scholarships you feel are applicable. Be sure to include the Diversity Supplemental form if applicable (www.grad.ucla.edu).
Letters of Recommendation – Your recommenders will be sent an email request with instructions on how to submit their letters online. They do not need to mail hard copies.
Transcripts – Scanned copies of transcripts from each institution attended can be submitted at the time of application. If admitted, original transcripts are required as soon as they are available, and no later than August 15, 2022. They must be sent either by mail or electronically through your degree institution to the Graduate Advisor, Jenna Miller-Von Ah (email@example.com). Hard copy sealed official transcripts can be mailed to Gender Studies Graduate Program:
UCLA Department of Gender Studies
1120 Rolfe Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1504
CV or resume – include your current address, telephone number, email, your educational experience, and your work experience.
Gender Studies supplementary essay (in addition to the Statement of Purpose) – The Gender Studies Supplementary Essay should tell the admissions committee about your background in and proposed focus in Gender Studies – answer the question “Why Gender Studies?” It can also give the committee information about your work and professional experience. The essay should be no more than 3 double-spaced pages and should address the following:
- How did you become interested in Gender Studies?
- What work or academic experiences prompted you to apply for a graduate degree in Gender Studies?
- In what area of Gender Studies do you plan to specialize?
- What are your career goals?
Writing Sample – Research papers or other written materials (not to exceed 25 pages in length) expressing your academic or professional interests. These materials should not exceed 25 double-spaced pages.
TOEFL scores (required of international applicants whose first language is not English) – Official Score Reports can be ordered from ETS. Institutional code for UCLA: R4837; Department/Major Field Code : 2201 Social Sciences—Area, Ethnic and Gender Studies