Application and required documents deadline for Fall 2023 admission is December 12th, 2022
Please note: The Gender Studies MA Program is suspended indefinitely.
The online application is submitted through the UCLA Graduate Division: www.grad.ucla.edu
Application materials required by the Graduate Division and the Department of Gender Studies:
- Online application which includes submission of basic information, including your academic history and the degree program to which you wish to apply, as well as the application fee of $120 ($140 for international).
- Fellowship and Diversity application now called Personal History Statement (if you are eligible for Graduate Division fellowships).
- Transcripts (upload online AND mail 2 original hard copies to the Department of Gender Studies – address below)
- Three letters of recommendation are required by the Department of Gender Studies. Indicate a minimum of 3 names and emails for your recommenders.
Please upload these Gender Studies supplemental materials to the online application under “Supporting Documents” if there is no other specified section to upload:
- Statement of Purpose
- Gender Studies Supplemental Essay
- CV or resume
- International Applicants are also required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores.
Statement of Purpose – The statement of purpose is very important and is carefully considered in the selection process. Be concise and specific. It should be 3-pages double-spaced, and focus on what has brought you to pursuing a doctoral degree.
Fellowship Application – Available through the graduate division, please apply for all scholarships you feel are applicable. Be sure to include the Diversity Supplemental form if applicable (www.grad.ucla.edu).
Letters of Recommendation – Your recommenders will be sent an email request with instructions on how to submit their letters online. They do not need to mail hard copies.
Transcripts – Transcripts (upload scanned copies online, if admitted, you will be asked to request originals – electronic preferred if possible – to be sent to Department of Gender Studies at firstname.lastname@example.org) Hard copy sealed official transcripts can be mailed to Gender Studies Graduate Program:
UCLA Department of Gender Studies
1120 Rolfe Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1504
CV or resume – include your current address, telephone number, email, your educational experience, and your work experience.
Gender Studies supplementary essay (in addition to the Statement of Purpose) – The Gender Studies Supplementary Essay should tell the admissions committee about your background in and proposed focus in Gender Studies – answer the question “Why Gender Studies?” It can also give the committee information about your work and professional experience. The essay should be no more than 3 double-spaced pages and should address the following:
- How did you become interested in Gender Studies?
- What work or academic experiences prompted you to apply for a graduate degree in Gender Studies?
- In what area of Gender Studies do you plan to specialize?
- What are your career goals?
Writing Sample – Research papers or other written materials (not to exceed 25 pages in length) expressing your academic or professional interests. These materials should not exceed 25 double-spaced pages.
TOEFL scores (required of international applicants whose first language is not English) – Official Score Reports can be ordered from ETS. Institutional code for UCLA: R4837; Department/Major Field Code : 2201 Social Sciences—Area, Ethnic and Gender Studies